Protect the environment

According to a report by researchers from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (USA), if all conventional bulbs in the world were replaced with bulbs that use LED technology, within 10 years we will have reduced coal consumption by 153 million kilolitres, we would no longer need to use over 230 nuclear power plants, we would reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide levels by 10 million tons and we would save 1.93 billion dollars in electricity worldwide. Therefore, LED technology favours the environment and helps to conserve our planet.

Free of mercury and toxic chemicals

LED bulbs do not harm the environment because they do not contain any toxic elements in their composition. They meet RoHS requirements, meaning they do not contain any heavy metals like lead, mercury or cadmium.
Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) contain small amounts of mercury; a neurotoxin known to cause liver and brain damage, and they must be disposed of in accordance with regulations for hazardous substances. LEDs on the other hand can be disposed of safely in the bin.

Working Life

LEDs have a working life of over 70.000 hours. For a house, this can mean changing all of your light bulbs every 15-30 years. On average, LEDs last 50 to 70 times longer than incandescent bulbs and 10 times longer than CFL bulbs, meaning LEDs don’t have to be replaced as often, lessening the amount of waste we produce.

Less heat

Incandescent and CFL bulbs only use 10% of each watt to produce light while the rest of this energy becomes heat. LEDs use 90% of each watt, meaning they only have 10% left over to produce heat. How does this benefit you? You aren’t wasting energy and you save on electricity in warmer climates.